Wednesday, July 18, 2012

3:56:27 AM. Bangalore, India.


I know I'm starting this post like it's a diary entry for a character in Lost, but it 3:56 AM and I'm still at work, writing a report that summarizes my internship in Bangalore. And considering I'm whiling away my time on blogger as the cursor blinks idly on an empty word document at my Desktop, I COULD have been a tad bit more motivated.

Anyway, something about the inevitable end to my Bangalore stint drew me to writing this down. It's been a long 3-ish months, and I've admittedly had an eventful time. Here are the highlights:

1. I finally found someone willing to tag along with me to Lahore! Well, yeah, I'll get into more detail about this sometime in the future, right now we can just summarize it with the fact that I do have a very filmy connection with Pakistan, which also involves a death-bed promise to visit an ancestral home made to the most important woman ever in my life, my dadi. :)

2. I learnt that going out for a couple of beers at lunch makes work a lot more tolerable. :)

3. I realized EXACTLY how much I hate Bollywood, basically how popular culture makes you think of yourself as the lead of your own movie. Where you know, you get the happy endings, and your giving it all away for one thing isn't ridiculed or slandered. The DDLJ moments don't really translate that well into real life. If there's one thing Bollywood loves doing, it's trying to convince you that it's wise to ignore your responsibilities in favor of a reward that has virtually no chance of happening, you can, for example, stand at the McDonalds where you first met someone in a particular city with a bunch of blue orchids in your hand excited to be able see them one last time and still have them not show up. You can send someone a text telling them you don't want to cause them pain only for them to scream at you and tell you they never want to see or talk to you again. You don't get to rectify every mistake you made, but you get reminded about them in painstaking detail. You tell someone you have an innate need of protecting them from being hurt only to be questioned about how you felt. You can try taking a 'leap of faith' only to fall face first into the ground.

Okay, I've started to rant again. (You can't blame me! It's fucking 4 in the morning!). Also Notice the bottom left corner, THAT is how much I've gotten done on my report. :)



Pray for me.
ciao.

P.S. I know my handwriting isn't exactly an asset. :)

4 comments:

*orange plum* said...

"I realized EXACTLY how much I hate Bollywood..."
I think I cried a little.

Shruti said...

You have an ancestrol home in Lahore? mine is in Peshawar :)
Do visit. Oddly enough, Pakistan is actually a very pretty place.

And hi-5 for hating Bollywood. Though i love DDLJ. Rephrased- I love only DDLJ.

You have an incomplete report, I have an incomplete debate to write. -_-

Rija Yousuf said...

YOU WILL LOVE LAHORE

Rahul Bhatnagar said...

@Priyam: Hahah, THAT in no way implies that I'll be cutting down on my daily doze of B4U. :)

@Shruti: I KNOW Pakistan is a very pretty place which is why I'm excited. Oh and as usual thanks a LOT for the synergy.

@Rija: I still remember how my grandmothers eyes would light up when she'd talk about it. I'm sure it's going to be a trip of a lifetime. As they say, 'Jis Lahore Nahin Dekhya Woh Jamiya Nahin'. :)